SSC CGL Examination is one of the biggest government job exams in India. In this exam English is the most important part, So you should start your SSC English preparation very early. If you are not sure where to begin or looking for a more focused way of preparation, Don’t think I hope this post will help you.
In this article, you will get SSC CGL General English Pattern, Study Plan for General English Section of SSC CGL, Topic Wise Preparation Tips for General English Section of SSC CGL, SSC CGL General English Section Syllabus. Because as per the SSC CGL 2017 Exam Pattern, English is a major subject in the exam.
English Syllabus For SSC CGL 2017
This section is primarily dedicated to testing the knowledge of candidate i.e., the Usage of Correct Grammar. We can divide the SSC English Syllabus subject into three sections which are mentioned below.
- Spotting Common Errors
- Sentence Improvement
- Fill in the Blanks
- One Word Substitution
- Idioms & Phrases
- Spelling Rules
3. Reading Skills:
- Comprehension Passage
- Sequence of Sentence
- Sentence Completion
- Cloze Test
The number of questions and their difficulty level in SSC CGL Exam has remained similar over the years. As you know SSC English contains 25 questions in Tier-1 and 200 questions in Tier-2 Examination.
SSC CGL Tier-1
- Spotting Error – 2–3 Marks
- Sentence Correction – 2–3 Marks
- Fill in the blank – 1–2 Marks
- One Word Substitution – 2–3 Marks
- Idioms/Phrases – 2–3 Marks
- Synonyms & Antonyms – 2–3 Marks
- Reading Comprehension – 5 marks
- Spelling Mistakes – 1 Marks
- Cloze Test – 5 Marks
SSC CGL Tier-2
- Comprehension – 30
- Narration – 27
- Close Test – 25
- Sentence improvement – 22
- Active-Passive – 20
- Error Detection – 20
- Para Jumbles – 20
- One word substitution – 12
- Idioms and phrases – 10
- Vocabulary – 6
- Sentence Correction – 5
- Spelling mistake – 3
Tips and Tricks to prepare English for SSC CGL 2017 exam
Here we are providing some tips for preparing English for staff selection commission Combined Graduate Level Examination
- For the smart preparation of SSC CGL Examination, the best method will be to get all the SSC Previous Question Papers and do daily practice.
- You need to remember the Grammar Rules. However, you do not need to know all grammar rules after solving previous year papers you can easily understand what kind of question SSC is framing.
- English Section in SSC CGL Tier I especially judges your ability to understand English and Proper Usage of Grammar. For improvement on understanding English Read Newspapers (The Hindu and Economic Times) and Books on Grammar.
- Revise, Reflect and Learn from your mistakes. The revision will play an extremely vital role in improving your score in SSC CGL English Language Section.
- You need to develop a habit to learn new words daily from the newspaper, news channels, books etc. It will help you build your own lexicon of essential words.
- It is very important to know your weak areas so that you can pay your special attention to them. Give more time to the study of the subject or topic that you are having difficulty with.
- Try to maintain class notes by creating summary notes. Spot the key terms and concepts and make sure that you understand them.
- Maintain a plan for each day to practice topics essential to SSC CGL English Language Section and try to devote at least three hours for English exercise on daily basis.
- As you all know, Time Management is the important factor of every competitive examination. Therefore, you need to work on your speed. For solving questions at a faster pace, you have to test yourself on a daily basis by practice Mock Test and Assessments.
Best English Books For SSC Exam preparation
|Sl No.||Best English Books For SSC CGL exam||Amazon||Flipkart|
|1||Objective General English By S.P. Bakshi||Buy||Buy|
|2||English for General Competitions By Paramount||Buy||Buy|
|3||English Volume-2 For General Competitions By Neetu Singh||Buy|
|4||Essential English Grammar with Answers By Raymond Murphy||Buy||Buy|
|5||High School English Grammar and Composition BY Wren and Martin||Buy||Buy|
|6||Objective General English By R.S. Aggarwal and Vikas Aggarwal||Buy||Buy|
|7||SSC English Chapterwise Solved Papers (Kiran Publication)||Buy||Buy|
|8||SSC English Previous Year By Ajay Kumar Singh and MB Publication||Buy||Buy|
|9||Common Errors in English By Kiran Prakashan||Buy||Buy|
|10||Word Power Made Easy By Norman Lewis||Buy||Buy|